Gustav Dentzel Carousel Two-Seat Chariot
American, Philadelphia Style. Restored Paint.
1901 Dentzel Carousel
In 1901, Jacob Plarr brought his original hand-carved Dentzel Carousel to Dorney Park. A Wurlitzer band organ provided music to riders. During the 1930s, this Dentzel carousel was put into storage after Dorney Park purchased a Philadelphia Toboggan Co. Carousel. Throughout the years it was brought out of storage for special events at the park. In 1954, the carousel was painted gold in honor of Dorney Park’s 70th anniversary.
The carousel was painted red, white and blue for the U.S. bi-centennial celebration in 1976. When Dorney Park celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1984, the carousel was once again taken out of storage and restored to its original state. The carousel was dismantled when the park was sold in 1985, and its pieces are now part of private collections.
This beautiful pair of chariot seats are attached to a single base. The combined "young lady" and "blue jay" motifs were a memorable part of the 1903 Dentzel carousel at Dorney Park, Pennsylvania where they beckoned lovers for more than three quarters of a century.
PLEASE NOTE: The rear inside bench support is not included with this lot. Although it would have been the least decorative and detailed of the supports, and can be easily recreated, buyers are being made aware that this bench support is not included with the sale of this lot.
Estimate: $6,000 - $9,000